Sports medicine doctors at Group Health focus on treatment and prevention of sports injuries and other disorders.
Doctors from several different specialties work together to get you back in the game through treatments and, when necessary, surgery and rehabilitation.
- Orthopedic surgeons specialize in the treatment of disorders of the musculoskeletal system, including the bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints, cartilage and other connective tissues. Group Health orthopedic surgeons treat dislocations, strains, sprains and broken bones.
- Podiatric surgeons at Group Health, who specialize in the care and treatment of the foot and ankle, may also be called in to consult on sports injuries.
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors may treat sports injuries by electrotherapy, injection procedures, therapeutic exercise and pharmaceutical pain control.
Disorders treated include:
- Achilles tendon tears
- Ankle sprains
- Articular cartilage injuries
- Collateral ligament injuries of the knee
- Biceps tendon injuries
- Golfer’s elbow
- Little Leaguer’s shoulder and elbow injuries
- Jumper’s knee, patella tendonitis
- Knee ligament tears and strains, such as anterior cruciate ligament and posterior cruciate ligament injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Osteochondral lesions of the talus
- Patella dislocations
- Quadriceps tendon and patella tendon tears
- Overuse injuries
- Shoulder impingement syndromes
- Shoulder instability and dislocations
- Shoulder labral tears
- Stress fractures
- Tennis elbow
- Triceps tendon injuries.
Expertise in sports medicine treatments
The sports medicine department has expertise in:
- Advanced arthroscopic procedures of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee and ankle, to diagnose joint injuries, remove bone or cartilage, or repair tendons or ligaments
- Elbow replacement
- Fracture care
- Hip replacement
- Joint injection
- Knee replacement
- Medical acupuncture
- Orthotics, such as shoe inserts, neck braces, lumbosacral supports, knee braces and wrist supports
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment
- Shoulder replacement
Seeing patients at 7 locations