Neurologists at Group Health are physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and muscle.
Common conditions treated by neurologists include:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Essential Tremor
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
An accurate diagnosis is the first step toward effective treatment. Diagnosis involves getting a detailed health history and neurologic tests for mental status, vision, strength, coordination, reflexes, and sensation. Frequently, further tests are needed to reach a diagnosis.
Common neurologic tests include:
- Computerized tomography (CT scan)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Electromyogram including nerve conduction study (EMG)
- Sleep study (PSG)
- Cerebral spinal fluid analysis (Spinal Tap or Lumbar Puncture)
- Neuropsychological Evaluation
Neurologists can recommend surgical treatment, but they do not perform surgery. When treatment includes surgery, neurologists may refer you to a neurosurgical specialist.
Your neurologists will work closely with your primary doctor to obtain a diagnosis and provide ongoing treatment and care of neurological disorders.