Physical Medicine & Rehab
- Make Appointment: 513.246.7012
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physicians at Group Health specialize in treating patients with muscle, bone, joint, nerve, cartilage, tendon and ligament injuries, as well as pain and other physical and neurologic impairments. Disabling impairments resulting from disease, trauma, pain or congenital disorders often may be treated by non-surgical means.
Meet Group Health's physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians.
Disorders treated include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cerebral palsy
- Diabetic/peripheral neuropathy
- Failed back surgeries/ syndromes
- Head injuries
- Multiple sclerosis
- Myofascial pain
- Neck and back pain or injury
- Neurological disorders such as stroke, spinal cord injury
- Pinched nerves
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), also called complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- Shoulder pain
- Spine pain
- Sports-related injuries
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Work-related injuries
- Most other musculoskeletal disorders
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is sometimes called physiatry or rehabilitation medicine. The goal is to restore a patient’s optimum physical and cognitive function. The department treats disabling disorders and injuries by non-surgical means, such as therapeutic exercise.
Eleven Group Health Physicians specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The department has expertise in:
- Botox injections for spasticity in stroke, brain injury and spinal cord injury
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Facet rhizotomy
- Integrative pain assessment (IPA)
- Medical acupuncture
- Medical management for acute and long-term rehabilitation
- Nerve conduction studies
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT)
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physicians at Group Health often collaborate with other medical practitioners to develop a patient’s long-range management plan.